Sunday, March 1, 2009

Business Models and giving away for 'free'

This was an USDF teaching clinic for lunging assessments as well as lunging riders (that part is today, which I have to miss). Intriguing to learn about although photos of horses going around and around and around and around and …. Lots of circles, ok? I tried to be as inventive as I possibly could, but it definitely took a toll on the mental boredom (and sleep deprivation) after awhile.

I'm still working on my pricing model and business model, but these clinics are difficult -- the demand for photos is low and I'm much more interested in getting traffic TO my website. I have photos that I'm not even sure some people are aware of. With such a small horse community, it's easy to eventually get photos of nearly everyone -- but you have to GET them to come visit.

There's a good hack to change the 'buy' button into a download button for the website. I'd love to have both though -- download abilities for smaller versions (with watermarks) and purchasing larger ones. Alas, the hack *changes* the button from one to the other, and I'd prefer to do both. So for now, downloads are limited to right-clicking on images and making sure that they are available (although limited in size).

These clinics also make me think of the Siren's conference. For whatever reason, my mind skipped over to the topics of website traffic flow, costs, etc. I think a very similar model to the clinics but with a provision that 50% of any 'profit' from photography sales goes back to the Siren's folk (since they ARE non profit and therefore this will help them put on next years conference). Which also makes me think that perhaps I should get some business cards together JUST for the conference. Especially if I can get a card or flyer (or postcard size) into the registration package for the attendees (limited to 600). Hmm. In this case I just want my efforts to be appreciated by all who attend. Sales are so very secondary.

No comments: