Thursday, March 19, 2009

the Art of the Market

My education continues. Marketing was the theme of last night's reading with some good ideas percolating as I took notes and read on.

Pull and Push marketing tactics -- and I can definitely see ones that are of both types, such as a flyer or mailer sent out that includes a promotional offer -- entice them to come to you next.

Whatever plan for marketing I take, I'm definitely going to stick it out for the long run, so this takes thought and time. Getting future value out of this is more important than anything else. In some ways, I can see how this is already working within the horse show groups out here. People are seeing my name (my business name) and connecting it with the quality of photographs I do. There's finally the start of a connection there -- and at least this book says a minimum of 5 exposures is needed to implant your name into someone's mind.

So to break into architectural/real estate photography? Flyers alone won't do it. I'll need to find out what trade magazines/etc they have out here and advertise in there. GET MY NAME OUT THERE.

Also a GREAT justification for mass quantity purchases of postcards, etc. Use them. Twice. Three times. Don't assume they'll read them the first time and not loose them or toss them away.

Course, I find it hysterical that this book feels the need to emphasis the tailored marketing approach. Then again, that's so obvious to me -- yet I do NOT see other people doing it. More of a 'I do photos' approach to everything. If you had that person's flyer with someone else showing off real estate photography and you were a realtor…. which would you go to first? duh.

Remaining relevant in your marketing is obvious to me, again. However, a few other ideas hit me as well. Real estate photography is appealing because I can arrange it in the afternoons and on free days. Realtors work all day, so it's not like a person who doesn't have as much time, etc etc.

Course, using my own animals as 'models' (and hitting up the neighbors for theirs too!), I can very very easily put together a 'pet portrait' portfolio and advertise …. in veterinary offices. Duh. That's so obvious I'm ashamed. But do I want to pursue this and the world of crazy pet owners? Erk. I'm not sure. But if I charge enough per session (time limit) ….. hmm. It's worth considering. Pets look good regardless of the time of year. (unlike horse commissions when fuzzy winter fuzz looks like shit).

Also - Sirens. It's a limited *known ahead of time* crowd. Individual mailers ahead of time? Plus packets in the reg packet? And cards available? I can definitely do this 'wrong' and just get photos for Sirens itself, or I can do this RIGHT and get some income (perhaps enough to cover the cost of the trip) from sales of images (even giving 50% back to the non profit). Shall consider/discuss/ponder.

So I will e-mail Janice and find out about Utah Real Estate newsletters/associations that have advertising. Not everyone has to be using a 'professional' group, right? ? ?


*** I cannot do these all. I have to decide where my time + effort is going to go and where my ROI (return on investment) will yield the most LONG TERM results.

And do I 'invest' more into the horse show photography? My sheer presence, signs, t-shirts and the onsite set up should be enough. I think? This IS the core of my business right now, so I should ponder on this a bit longer.

No comments: