Monday, March 23, 2009

Books and more books and geeks galore

Various stats:

D50: with Nikon and basic level review/repair approved and in progress

Finished reading: "Profitable Photography in the Digital Age". GOOD book and all the business geekery I needed, as well as more information on some important topics (model releases, copyrighting, marketing, etc) that I really needed. Oh, I don't agree 100% with him and I can see how C. said the author is rather full of himself (erm, or implied as much). He definitely has strong opinions but he backs them up with solid facts. Mostly his entire chapter on web models doesn't take into account the existence of services like SmugMug. For shame!

Started reading and 1/2 way through Shaw's "Closeups in Nature". Good stuff if a tad outdated -- but aside from chapters about qualities of film, it's a solid primer. I also found "Understanding Close-up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with or without a Macro Lens" which releases at the end of this month. So something NEW but a part of the same 'Understanding' series as 'Understanding Exposure'. Ideally that means it should be a 'winner' but I'll get it and see.

I also totally geeked out and found "Mastering Nature Photography: Shooting and Selling in the Digital Age". One, it's a 'new' book again (digital age) and it written in EXACTLY the way I like. Short concise groupings of topics, much like a solid lecture on the topic. There's an accompanying CDROM of images which I rather prefer to the excessive images other books have. I flipped through some of the more 'popular' ones and it was a 1:9 ratio of text to images. I totally 'get' learning by example, but most of it was the same thing over and over again while just saying what settings were used. Um, educate a bit more? Pontificate a bit less?

So I'm reading too much these days and loving every moment of it. And yes, still taking notes on the things I want to remember again for later. I need to reactivate/use my Amazon affiliation account a bit and unlock the 'books' page of my website. Why not, right? The visitors to my site are as much other photographers as they are potential clients.

No comments: