Monday, May 11, 2009

learning, planning, reading, plotting

Surprise! the Digital Photography Book (vol. 2) was more than the random collection of common sense tidbits I had expected. I folded down pages to come back and reference (and take notes on) for later much more often than I expected. Of course, it had a LOT to do with lighting and portraits -- hello, my two week areas. This is enough for me to be *eager* for volume 3 when it is released soon, rather than seeing it as a chore to review for the sake of reviewing and for dgrin's benefit.

I wonder if I could get a paid job reviewing these books for photography magazines?

On the business thread, I've two choices for wedding photography -- I either do the unthinkable and deeply undercut rates for the sake of a wedding or two to get my portfolio built up, THEN start booking like normal. J's wedding is in mid-October and I need to get that experience sooner than later.

Nik's Posing the Light workshop in June will do a LOT for me in this area, but unless I hand around bridal veils, not much for weddings. (Although that's an idea...)

If getting my foot in the door means kicking it in and taking whomever comes (fates with me, they will be good decent folks who just canot afford a $3k photographer) for the first few shoots that work with my schedule (yet another issue, helllllo weekday weddings).

D. said he passed my information on as a 2nd shooter to a very good wedding photographer in the SLC area, but my online portfolio? NOT what it should be and unless she spends time searching, she wouldn't find anything to recommend me. So the best I can hope for is to get my 'act' together and then ask him to mention me again with the updating wedding-specific portfolio. The fact I've done weddings in the past and do candids VERY well -- is all on film. Owned by other people, so impossible to scan for my portfolio. Such is that fate.

Real Estate photography also appeals a LOT to me -- flexible and I love making designs out of straight rooms and compassing what is there, making it look even better than what the eye can perceive in the largest of rooms. Fortunately in this I DO have a portfolio, I only need to launch the marketing. Also looking into tethering a laptop/netboo so that there's SOME bigger screen for the client (realtor) to see so that they are certain to get the shots they need for THEIR clients (homeowners/sellers). Research in progress.

OTHERWISE, lower key show this Wednesday, but yet another GREAT way to get my name and face out there. There was the possibility of another this Saturday, but looks like I'll be off showing myself instead. Maybe. I'll finalize this on Wednesday.

No comments: