Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Things I learned this weekend

Okay, watching 2 days worth of USDF tests I learned a LOT about riding and showing.

But I also learned a good deal about photography of these events, which I'm going to outline here for my own brain reference

* BACKGROUND : choose it and STICK with it. Even if they look 'pretty' in the other corner, those dumpsters and trailers REALLY show up in the background when you have the final photo (it's amazing what the eye can edit out that a photograph does not...). Fortunately with these tests, they are long enough to pick and choose the 'when' moments.

* KNOW THE TESTS and WHICH MOMENTS/MOVEMENTS to capture and which end of the arena you need to be at. Fortunately this was not a problem even if I have a hatred of 3rd level test 3 now after watching it a dozen+ times. Stupid turn on the haunches.

* DO WHAT YOU CAN TO MAKE THEM LOOK GOOD. Yes, this has to be done. Saddle too far forward? 3/4 shots do wonders for this. Sitting too far back? well, a bit trickier, but 3/4 and frontal shots help a bit, as does the art of timing. Fortunately only a few tests that involved posting, but any butt-out-of-saddle-time goes into the cull-bin immediately. It just never looks good to the rider.

I'm sure there's more, but that's it for now. Oh! and 70-200mm mated to the 1.4 TC II is great love!

No comments: