Monday, April 6, 2009

Learning, but not shooting.

Life's been busy since I last sat down to write about photography. I have, however, used some of that time for reading. I finished up the nature book and while there was an emphasis on stock photography, it still applied to all situations. It does make me curious about stock photography, but working part-time that is something I can in no way pursue. Nor do I want to. There does seem to be a degree of artistic 'blankness' that is needed for stock photos. It almost makes me sad. How odd.

Next was Peterson's newest book about Close-Up photography. EXCELLENT book and great reading. He's quite inspirational in his images and conversational in his writing style. I found myself itching to go study the rug with the camera, just because I COULD and see how close I could get. He does lovely things like recommend a close up filter and diffusers and reversing rings and it is VERY hard to not want those things. I was unsurprised to see two of the items sold out on Adorama's website. Coincidence? He's one of the bigger names in photography books along with Scott Kirby, so I suspect it's not just random chance.

Now I'm on to Best Business Practices for Photographers which is excellent reading if a bit frightful. It's definitely geared towards someone ahead of me -- someone who's been working professionally/as a business for a number of years and needs to refocus and refine their business model. However, it also includes some excellent information that is good to know NOW rather than later. Even some things such as the idea of selling off equipment BEFORE it dies and reaches the end of its lifespan and then using those funds towards the purchase of new stuff (monitor = 18 month limit, 12 months if on all the time). Things you don't really think about logically until you sit down and calculate out the costs and time. Useful.



This will be one book better used as a reference book as time passes. Sections on non-paying clients can help me avoid situations, but are still best pulled out when needed at a later date. I still have one more business book to go through, which I believe is more about building a business. I think I'll read through both before retooling my business plan (which seems to be a monthly occurrence).

No comments: